www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: Mirror created
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:34:24 GMT
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:46:15 -0400
> From: Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca>
> To: "mirrors@apache.org" <mirrors@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Mirror created
>
> Aaron Bannert wrote:

> > We really need to do something about this. I stopped running the
> > jakarta and xml site mirrors to my machine because the nightly
> > deltas were so huge. It would be great if we could get the
> > dist directories to only be official project distributions,
> > so we could mirror just that instead of things like automated
> > gump builds.
>
> Yes, certainly.  When I have discussed this with the jakarta people, we
> have been clear that nightly builds cannot go out to the mirrors.  The
> other question, however, is whether all the old release (or pre-release)
> builds should stay up on the mirrors (as they are for httpd) or if we
> should prune down to just current releases.  I have mixed feelings about
> that.

Hi,

  this was discussed here a year ago; is there an archive of this list ?

  I would strongly favor that the projects split their archive in

  -- hist/   historical stuff
  -- dist/   current stuff
  -- devel/  development stuff

  Mirrors should only carry the 'dist' stuff.

  -- For mirror users, all the 'hist' and 'devel' stuff is very confusing.
  -- Those interested in 'hist' and 'devel' would go to the source anyway,
     and not trust any mirror to "have everything, always".

  I have no idea how feasible/realistic this is, but I think
  this is what the mirrors and average users want.

  Note that I don't think diskspace or bandwidth are the problem,
  although a year ago it took more than 2 days continuous mirroring
  to get to 75% sync with the jakarta archive (due to performance
  problems on the jakarta end).

> Joshua.

  regards.

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University \__/  \
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands. \__/
Telephone: +31-30-2534106, fax: 2513791, NIC-handle: HPP1 _/  \__/  \
News.answers http://www.cs.uu.nl/cgi-bin/faqwais     \__/  \__/  \__/