www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <kars...@rohrbach.de>
Subject Re: Mirror reorganization
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:49:37 GMT
Brian Behlendorf(brian@collab.net)@2002.08.16 20:55:19 +0000:
> > On another note, how are other applications handling this sort of
> > mirroring?  I know for one I use Debian and they actually place a
> > time-stamp on the primary server that is then propagated down to the
> > mirrors.  Your new closer.cgi could easily query this file to see if its out
> > of date or not and get people _the best_ mirror possible ... just a
> > thought.  Automate it and forget it.
>
> I love this.

#!/bin/sh
# cron script to update mirror source distribution timestamps
# should run on BSD boxen
TSFILE="/where/ever/pub/.timestamp-`/bin/hostname`"
/bin/date -u "+%s" > ${TSFILE}
#eof

this will be propagated to all mirrors when they sync/cvsup, so it
should be updated all 5 minutes or so from cron. if the apache.org box
doing these updates is secure, it might be an interesting feature to
generate a gnupg key for the update job and create a detached signature,
allowing to discover timestamp tampering. :-/ now that's overkill, okay
;-)

in turn, it will be very easy, then, to fetch these files from a script
grokking the mirror urls and analysing their staleness. therefor +%s
will display the time relative to UTC (-u) in seconds epoch, which is
easier to grok in scripts, IMVHO.

regards,
/k

--
> 130 Jahre Staubsauger.
> Vorher hatte der Hamster quasi keine natuerlichen Feinde...
WebMonster Community Project -- Reliable and quick since 1998 -- All on BSD
http://www.webmonster.de/ - ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ - http://www.rohrbach.de/
GnuPG:   0xDEC948A6 D/E BF11 83E8 84A1 F996 68B4  A113 B393 6BF4 DEC9 48A6
REVOKED: 0x2964BF46 D/E 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46
REVOKED: 0x4C44DA59 RSA F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44
My mail is GnuPG signed -- Unsigned ones are bogus -- http://www.gnupg.org/
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 10x