www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Mirror reorganization
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:55:19 GMT
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Scott Kveton wrote:
> Bandwidth is cheap and disk is cheaper ... I say keep the old revisions
> around.

Heh, for someone with an academic budget and access to I2, sure.  :)

This is easy to solve:

a) an rsync module called "dist", containing what's in
http://www.apache.org/dist/ (e.g. http://dist.apache.org if we move to
that), and we keep releases around the greater of 1 year or 2 previous
releases.

b) another rsync module called "dist-complete", which contains a
complete record of all releases.  Dunno what the URL for this would be,
but I wouldn't put it under dist.apache.org, so that HTTP mirrors/spiders
who assume dist.apache.org is lightweight don't get penalized.

> On another note, how are other applications handling this sort of
> mirroring?  I know for one I use Debian and they actually place a
> time-stamp on the primary server that is then propagated down to the
> mirrors.  Your new closer.cgi could easily query this file to see if its out
> of date or not and get people _the best_ mirror possible ... just a
> thought.  Automate it and forget it.

I love this.

	Brian