www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Mirror reorganization
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:35:47 GMT
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 08:44:09PM +0200, Henk P. Penning wrote:
>   your problem and fine proposal assume that mirrors carry
>   the 'historical' stuff. If mirrors only carried the 'current'
>   stuff the problem would go away, and some maintenance would
>   become less critical (the index.html's you propose are great,
>   but leave ftp users 'in the cold').

I wasn't aware that the ASF did any FTP at all, let alone though mirrors.
FTP users can navigate to the right directory and look for the highest
numbered version of a particular distribution, the index.html just
makes it easier (besides, that's what HTML was designed for :).

>   As I said earlier, there are reasons for the mirrors NOT to carry
>   the 'historical' stuff : 1) confusing and 2) nobody uses them.

I disagree. I've used my own mirror for retrieving older distributions
on many occasions. It also serves another significant purpose: backups.

>   So, isn't it wise to FIRST decide if mirrors should carry
>   the old stuff, at all ? I'm against it, but I'm flexible :-).

You bring up a good point. What are the issues behind not wanting to
mirror the historical distributions?

As a mirror admin I wouldn't mind mirroring all source/binary
distributions. As an ASF member I'd like to have our mirrors do whatever
they can to improve reliability and reduce the bandwidth and hosting
costs of the apache.org sites.

This brings up another secondary point, which probably deserves a
post of its own: Would those who have donated mirror resources
like to have a page that basicly says "thanks to these groups for
donating their time, bandwidth and machines to our mirror network: ..."?
I think it would be nice to recognise this contribution. :)

-aaron