www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Mirror reorganization
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:13:59 GMT
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 02:05:24PM -0400, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> Urm, ouch.  I have to claim responsibility for that one.  I knew the
> mirrors would have to resync but I didn't think it was that big (and
> didn't bother to count MB's).  :-(

This isn't your fault, it's the fault of the way we organize our files
and directories. The fact that we ever move files around after they
become "old" means that we are doubling the amount of sync bandwidth
over time. We eat this all at once (like last night) or slowly, but it
still eats unnecessary bandwidth.

Regardless, let's kill 6 (+/- 2) birds with one stone and fix it all
at once. :) Besides, coming up with a consistent scheme makes it easier
for everyone, and if we can solve daedalus' bandwidth problems at
the same time let's do it.

-aaron