www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Mirror created
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:07:44 GMT
On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:46:15PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> Yes, certainly.  When I have discussed this with the jakarta people, we
> have been clear that nightly builds cannot go out to the mirrors.  The
> other question, however, is whether all the old release (or pre-release)
> builds should stay up on the mirrors (as they are for httpd) or if we
> should prune down to just current releases.  I have mixed feelings about
> that.

I tend to think that having them available in the mirrors serves two
good purposes:

1) automatic backups of legacy code/binaries
2) it's an O(1) operation -- synch it once and you won't have to
   ever again.

If having to download older distributions presents a bandwidth problem
to our mirrors, then maybe we should think about a naming scheme that
doesn't cause our mirros to re-download the same files once they move
from the main distribution directory to the old/ directories, since that
effectively doubles the amount of bytes downloaded to the mirrors. Maybe
a "current" symlink to a directory of the correct version.

-aaron