www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>
Subject Re: Mirror reorganization
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:39:02 GMT
On Tue, 2002-08-13 at 13:53, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 11:07:44AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > If having to download older distributions presents a bandwidth problem
> > to our mirrors, then maybe we should think about a naming scheme that
> > doesn't cause our mirros to re-download the same files once they move
> > from the main distribution directory to the old/ directories, since that
> > effectively doubles the amount of bytes downloaded to the mirrors. Maybe
> > a "current" symlink to a directory of the correct version.
>
> Just to reiterate how much of a problem I think this is, last night
> in just the httpd-site directory, my mirror downloaded around 250MB
> of data, merely because the older binary distributions were moved to
> a new directory. This negates much of the efficiency of rsync.
>
> Therefore I propose that we restructure the directory layout to avoid the
> need to move files once they are on the site, use web pages to provide
> the proper amount of browsability and indirection, and at the same time
> come up with a structure that allows for efficient load-balancing to
> the mirrors:

How encapsulating all the artifacts for a project under it's project id?

This is what I've done with the Maven repository that's being mirrored @
ibiblio:

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/

I think this makes it easier for people to find project artifacts and
then within that directory sort the artifacts into directories by type.
So far in the Maven we have jars and distributions. I think the
everything grouped by project id is easier to navigate and manage. This
has been my experience so far trying to deal with the Maven repository.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@apache.org