www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Mirror Submit
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 18:28:37 GMT
On Thu, 23 May 2002, shimi wrote:

> But the whole website is mirrored, no? At least, this what happens on my
> location, and I am running rsync dev.apache.org::apache-site ...

All the websites are available via rsync, but that doesn't mean that they
can be mirrored.  There are at least two problems:

1. We don't have a way to direct clients to the appropriate mirror for the
appropriate site.  This could be fixed.

2. These sites are managed in a VERY distributed way, and it is very hard
to enforce a "mirror friendly" design.  In particular, many of the sites
are full of absolute links which will brake badly in many mirrors.  This
could also be fixed, but it would be alot of work.

At the moment, I'm focusing on getting a good system for mirroring the
software distributions.  This is the easiest way that mirrors can help us
take the load off apache.org.  If other people want to tackle the other
problems, they are welcome.  But I don't think I have the time.

Joshua.