www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: Mirror changes killed my mirror
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 08:06:44 GMT
On Thu, 23 May 2002, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:11:41 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca>
> To: mirrors@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Mirror changes killed my mirror
> Sender: mirrors-return-498-henkp=cs.uu.nl@apache.org

> Thanks.  I've updated the how-to-mirror docs with "Options Indexes" and
> "AllowOverride all". [ ... ]
>                 I was trying to prevent the need for "AllowOverride all",
> because I suspect some mirrors wouldn't want to give that much access to
> their server, but I think if I don't put it in there is a big chance of
> accidentally breaking mirrors in the future.

Joshua,

  -- It's great someone is looking into the mirror
     related problems, and is actually changeing
     things for the better.

  -- I think requiring 'AllowOverride all' is wrong,
     because of the security implications.
     It shouldn't even be considered.
     If the requirement stays, many mirrors will give up.

  -- The current settings place some limits on the
     de developpers (httpd, xml, etc) but they are
     not unreasonable.

> Joshua.

  regards.

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University \__/  \
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands. \__/
Telephone: +31-30-2534106, fax: 2513791, NIC-handle: HPP1 _/  \__/  \
News.answers http://www.cs.uu.nl/cgi-bin/faqwais     \__/  \__/  \__/