www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <kars...@rohrbach.de>
Subject Re: rsync help
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 01:49:17 GMT
erin meunier(meunier@CS.ColoState.EDU)@2002.02.19 12:11:47 +0000:
> I am trying to get a copy of the entire cvs for a research project and
> wanted to rsync your cvs.  I have done this, and I am seeing the ant,
> avalon bcel (etc) subdirectories, but none of the .java files are here.
> Could you give me some instructions?  Thanks!

you probably do not want rsync, but cvsup (which in fact uses rsync's
algorithm for binary files) that handles cvs repositories efficiently.

lemme fecth the url for you...
http://people.freebsd.org/~jdp/s1g/
or
http://ftp.webmonster.de/jdp/s1g/

it is in the ports tree of most bsd dists, binaries available from above
urls.

at the moment i prefer cvsup over rsync also for mirroring binary files,
because the cvsup daemon does not have any code in it that writes to
files, you can easily configure it to run as cvsupd or nobody user, and
it appears to be much faster for large collections of files because
filelist generation, diff checking and actual copying of the data is
done in a multiplexed, parallel and isochronous fashion.

cheers,
/k

--
> Large cats can be dangerous, but a little pussy never hurt anyone.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.net/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46
My mails are PGP SIGNED -- Unsigned mails from my accounts are probably bogus.