www-mirrors mailing list archives

From jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>
Subject mirroring httpd.apache.org - a howtoish-sortof.
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:57:41 GMT
On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:

> httpd.apache.org is mirrorable, the rsync module name is httpd-site

Thanks,

I've since discovered a few things associated with making this work.. is
anyone else out there going to try and implement it ?

The main thing is that httpd makes extensive use of SSI/shtml.  However this
appeared to severely break on a `default' vhosted apache mirror, even though
SSI was turned on.  My fix was to addhandler for .shtml and .html which
fixed it.

There are also extensive rewrites needed to change a lot of absolute references
back into local ones - for the httpd site itself, and for downloads and
other references back to apache.org.  Contact me if you want the simple 3
or so lines needed that seems to cover about 95% of those.  It's a really
horrible kludge, but i did some measurements and it looks like (thanks to
rsync) it's < 1Mbyte every time you rsync (actually ~256K) as additional
overhead at this stage.

one further note.. it looks like mirroring is now split across multiple
"virtual" instances?  since we mirror from ftp.apache.org via rsync, but
for the httpd mirror, we're mirroring from dev.apache.org.  however
they are both the same ip# so i assume the same machine and rsync server..
so is there something underway to eventually split stuff into separate
boxes ?

lastly, i'm now trying to implement search.apache.org locally.  it's proving
interesting, but i should be able to come up with a relatively simple way
of doing this if Mr Moseley can contact me, so i can chat about all the
hard coded swish-e references in the code :-)

regards,

-jason