www-mirrors mailing list archives

From jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>
Subject Re: apache tuning for mirrors ?
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 14:18:13 GMT
On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, James R Grinter wrote:

> yeah - if you watch to see what the process is actually doing it spends
> a lot of time looking for <foo>.meta files, <foo>/meta/, and all of
> those things. I think (from vague memory) that each file results in 5
> or so stats() of the directory (each of which will take a long time for
> your classic UFS based directory with lots of files in it.)
>
> You basically need to track down the features that check all that stuff
> and turn them off for your mirror directories.
>
> (Can't give any more specific pointers than that, cos I never got
> around to looking further at the problem.)

thanks.  i've had a bit of a look and i'm no closer either to finding
out what these values are that i should try and turn off :-/

what you said does make sense.. hmm.  maybe i'll also try to run up an
apache 2.0.18 server on our test box and see if there are any speed
improvements there.

regards,

-jason