www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Devendra Narayan <nara...@cc.kagu.sut.ac.jp>
Subject Re: Mirror FAQ
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 03:16:32 GMT

> Can I have some input from people out there on what they think should appear
> on this mirror faq, you are the guys that have found out what the system
> requirements are(in some cases the very hard/expensive way).

Andrew,
	How about :

1. What are the disk size requirements for the various
archives / subarchives ;

e.g.
	whole site
	web data only
	ftpdata only
	http only
	Jakarta only etc.
and / or any combinations there of.

2. What are best 'tools' to mirror which parts ?

e.g. rsync for ftpdata, wget for webdata, mirror.pl others.

3. Actual command line argument examples for rsync etc. for those
who only want the current http server or a part of Jakarta
etc. ( Note : these may not be 'official' mirrors but would
still be of use for those who want to store it on internal
networks etc. ).

4. Best times to set their cron files ( depending on
the mirror sites' time zone but staggered to reduce load
on the primary server ).

5. If multiple 'primary' servers can be set up ( e.g. one
each for Asia, Europe etc. ) then all the rest of the mirror
sites do not have to access *.apache.org directly - just an idea.

6. Contact addresses for announcing mirror sites and steps
to get on / off this mailing list.

etc. etc.

[ How many times did I use etc. in this message ?? :-) ]

Devendra Narayan
SunSITE Japan
Science University of Tokyo,

"Do unto others (then run)" - Benny Hill