www-mirrors mailing list archives

From James R Grinter <...@gbnet.net>
Subject Re: apache tuning for mirrors ?
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:34:37 GMT
On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:53:33PM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> (including the apache mirror) and on some directories (considering
> that it's quite a heavily loaded/busy server) it can take several
> minutes (5 minutes+) to return a directory listing which has
> 5,000+ entries in it.

yeah - if you watch to see what the process is actually doing it spends
a lot of time looking for <foo>.meta files, <foo>/meta/, and all of
those things. I think (from vague memory) that each file results in 5
or so stats() of the directory (each of which will take a long time for
your classic UFS based directory with lots of files in it.)

You basically need to track down the features that check all that stuff
and turn them off for your mirror directories.

(Can't give any more specific pointers than that, cos I never got
around to looking further at the problem.)

James.