www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Bert Vermeulen <bert.vermeu...@be.easynet.net>
Subject Re: Total incompetence (was Problems updating via rsync)
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 15:49:07 GMT
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Tornoci Laszlo wrote:

> Lots of people don't comment, because the problem is a long standing one,
> and we haven't seen any real reaction from the apache people to the
> complaints raised here. It is beyond my understanding, how a very good and
> successful open source project with the backing of firms like IBM can show
> such a total incompetence in dealing with a mirror structure.
> Apache guys! PLEASE DO SOMETHING WITH THE MIRROR STRUCTURE! Don't
> start lengthy discussions about what would be the 'optimal' way of
> mirroring! Almost anything is better than the current situation!

I wouldn't perhaps put it in quite those words, but you're absolutely right.

> Most importantly: HAVE SOMEONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MIRROR, who is on list
> list.

That's the most important point, allright. For an example of how it should
be done, just look at the Proftpd project. The person responsible for this
has done a wonderful job, and has managed to get some 200 mirrors working
perfectly. Something wrong with your mirror? You get a mail.

The comparison with the Apache project mirroring is just painful.

Bert Vermeulen
bert.vermeulen@be.easynet.net