www-mirrors mailing list archives

From jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>
Subject Re: Problems updating via rsync
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:39:09 GMT
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Henk P. Penning wrote:

>   I've tried to keep my mouth shut for a long time; I agreed
>   with the effort that were made to improve the situation;
>   even tried to calm down those who were pushing too hard;
>   but now I've had it.

shrug. i lost it a while ago, but there's only so much effort
i am willing to put into a project now, before i give up.

>   Well, actually your wish is granted. The new crud is all in
>   'dist/jakarta/'. So let's consider that issue decided.

not really.  these are the dist files (which users tell me they
can't even find/understand on our mirror and they just go back
to apache.org.   the dist/jakarta doesn't appear to be anything
like the jakarta.apache.org web pages.  i want it consistent
as a mirror, otherwise what's the point.

>   I would consider it unacceptable if a mirror would have to set
>   up 10 to 15 virtual hosts for just one project.

i used to, but my frustation level with this means i don't really
care - i'll now do whatever to get a working full apache mirror.

obviously needing to setup a separate vhost for each apache subproject
is less than sensible, but unless there is a publish system putting
them all under one tree, i don't see how to avoid that.

>   I would prefer a top division of
>
>     -- dist/   stuff for distribution
>     -- hist/   historical stuff
>     -- devel/  stuff in development, beta
>
>   It would make mirroring so easy. If the projects do not agree,
>   I would like to see a dist/hist/devel split per project;
>   The mirrors should 'exclude' 'hist' and 'devel' to avoid
>   problems with bad mirrors.

there should be no "projects do not agree".  it's a template and
people work within it.

>   Works fine for CPAN (perl stuff).

coincidentally, ask is a CPAN developer, so i assume it's the same
system in use at both cpan and apache.org.  but for some reason at
apache, picking the closest mirror usually gets me mexico or somewhere
else (i'm in australia and maintain two local apache mirrors.. go figure)

>   Just my thoughts. I think I like the idea of a mirror template box.
>   Let apache.org try to mirror themselves; they'll find out
>   soon enough how set up things properly.

that's the whole point of setting up a master site - so that every other
site is a mirror, including www.apache.org and it can be rotated through
RR or have a www1.apache.org -> wwwX.apache.org.

>   PS mirror status: I've been busy all day to get my mirror into sync.
>   It can't be done. and it's useless because of errors in 'index.html'.

i started doing large amounts of search and replace with the html files
in the apache mirror to try and point things at actually locally mirrored
references rather than back to apache.org all the time.  i've given up -
there is no way to keep up with changes.

-jason