www-mirrors mailing list archives

From jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>
Subject Re: [qmirror] Useless mirroring of www.apache.org ?
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:34:17 GMT
On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Gorm Jorgensen wrote:

> Hi Folks.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks that mirroring www.apache.org is useless ?
> Why do you ask ?

[...]

this was changed a long time ago and has been brought up many times.  i'm
not sure what the problems are with the apache group at the moment.  i
think it's just going through a patch (sorry, couldn't resist) where people
are too busy, working on the software, moving house (hi piers! :-) and the
mirroring coordination has fallen over a bit.  ever since the split of
apache into multiple projects, it's been hard to get mirroring stuff happening.

i personally don't think the apache group plan to throw the mirroring concept
away, but at the moment it's  not going anywhere (except for people like
andrew kenna who are starting to try to do stuff)

i personally use a perl script to rewrite chunks of the apache mirror now
as i gave up (around 6 months ago ?) on getting it fixed at the master end.

it's relatively simple, but as with most things, you have to monitor it
carefully in case anything changes.

here are my local additions to make your mirror relevant to your users:

#
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/httpd.apache.org\//apache.planetmirror.com\/httpd.html/g' /ftp/pub/apache/index.html
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/php.apache.org\//php.planetmirror.com\//g' /ftp/pub/apache/index.html
#
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/httpd.apache.org/apache.planetmirror.com/g' /ftp/pub/apache/dist/Announcement.html
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/httpd.apache.org/apache.planetmirror.com/g' /ftp/pub/apache/dist/Announcement2.html
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/www.apache.org\//apache.planetmirror.com\//g' /ftp/pub/apache/dist/404.html
#

regards,

-jason

P.S  my views are just my own and this is not meant to be any kind of reflection
     on the apache group.  i am totally ignorant of how things work internally
     for them and am just a downstream mirror in australia..