www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>
Subject Re: error during rsync - web page
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2000 07:30:25 GMT
On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 01:42:15 -0500
> From: Manoj Kasichainula <manojk@io.com>
> To: Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pier@apache.org>
> Cc: mirrors@apache.org, Ryan Bloom <rbb@apache.org>,
>      Henk P. Penning <henkp@cs.uu.nl>
> Subject: Re: error during rsync - web page
> Sender: manojk@dillinger.io.com
>
> On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 02:44:02PM -0700, Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> > You guys (Ryan/Manoj) know why this is happening?
> >
> > "Henk P. Penning" <henkp@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> > >   -- something is wrong with directory 'bugs/shadow'.
>
> /www/jakarta.apache.org/bugs/shadow is only readable by root and
> nobody. rsync --server seems to be running as brian (though there are
> other rsync processes running as nobody).
>
> But are the mirrors supposed to be trying to mirror the bugdb CGIs?
> I'd think that would be dangerous, because it would fragment the
> bugdb.

  It sounds dangerous :-).

  The problem is I get

    receiving file list ... opendir(bugs/shadow): Permission denied
    done
    IO error encountered - skipping file deletion
    bugs/data/
    skipping non-regular file dist/404.html
    skipping non-regular file dist/binaries/macosxserver
    skipping non-regular file dist/binaries/osf1
    skipping non-regular file dist/binaries/sinix
    skipping non-regular file docs/404.html
    foundation/

  Note the 'IO error - skipping file deletion'.

  I never see one without the other, so they could be related.
  I think 'skipping file deletion' is to be avoided.

> > >   -- the 'skipping ...' lines have been there for a long time.
> > >      Why are they 'non-regular' ?
>
> They're symlinks. -l will allow rsyncing them over properly (though I
> use -a, which preserves lots of other attributes as well).

  Ok, I see.

  The apache mirror page

    http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html

  says: You might want to call it, ..., for example

    rsync -rtvz --delete --exclude incoming \
      dev.apache.org::apache-site /local/path/to/mirror

  I took it as a recommandation.
  Maybe the example should say: rsync -avz ... ...

  The mirror mail list address is still listed as 'majordomo@apache.org'.

  Thanks for your efforts.

  regards.

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University \__/  \__/  \
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands. \__/  \__/
Telephone: +31-30-2534106, fax: 2513791, NIC-handle: HPP1 _/  \__/  \__/  \
News.answers http://www.cs.uu.nl/cgi-bin/faqwais     \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/