www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Tornoci Laszlo <torl...@xenia.sote.hu>
Subject Re: CVSup
Date Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:17:13 GMT
Hi,

what's wrong with anon ftp with the mirror perl script? I think
it is efficient enough bandwidth-wise. I can imagine that the
load may be high on your server when a new version comes out, but
as the saying goes: "If it works, don't fix it!"

                                     Yours: Laszlo

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Now that apache.org is a FreeBSD box, we are beginning to explore using a
> program called "cvsup".  Its basis is a program called "sup", which
> essentially works as a remote-file-synchronization program; it allows a
> site to maintain a mirror of a remote file tree in a very efficient manner.
>  "cvsup" is an extension of this to use a CVS tree (when it exists) to
> allow for "diffs" to be sent when a file changes, rather than resending the
> whole file.  Thus, all in all it would be a more bandwidth-efficient method
> of updating one of your mirror sites from the source.
>
> Is this a program you're familiar with?  Would you consider using it?  More
> importantly, if anonymous FTP were to be discontinued (except for the
> programs in /dist of course) would any of you *not* be able to use cvsup?
>
> Binaries for other platforms, as well as more information, can be found at
>
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/CVSup/
>
> 	Brian

> "it's a big world, with lots of records to play."-sig   brian@hyperreal.org

Laszlo L Tornoci                            Inst Pathophysiology
E-mail: torlasz@xenia.sote.hu               Semmelweis Univ Med School
        torlasz@net.sote.hu                 Nagyvarad ter 4.
fax:    (36-1)-210-4409                     Budapest, H-1089, Hungary