www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Ira Abramov <...@scso.com>
Subject Re: one last thing
Date Fri, 13 Jun 1997 18:33:25 GMT
On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Another thing we did was rename "Old" to "old" in the /dist directory,

> This had the consequence of causing mirrors to think it was a brand
> new directory, and with 26 megabytes worth of new data.  Eek!  So if
> you get a warning message from your "mirror" program that a big
> directory just disappeared, don't worry, that's fine.

ouuuuch... please inform people next time. RedHat did it the other day,
moving the entire "devel" into "current" when the new version was
announced. a few hundred mirrors around the world had to re-download over
a gig of software JUST when all the users wanted to access ftp.redhat.com
too. ONE simple Email a day in advance would have changed a lot of things,
and many admins would have used a simple "mv" to save the bandwidth...

   Ira Abramov          <ira@scso.com>        Scalable Solutions
   POBox 3600, Jerusalem 91035, Israel       Tel (972)2-642-6822
   http://www.scso.com/~ira   Check out: http://www.linux.org.il