www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Ira Abramov <...@scso.com>
Subject Re: some updates
Date Fri, 13 Jun 1997 06:08:20 GMT
On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> The release of 1.2.0 caused an unprecedented amount of traffic on our
> site; so much so that the bandwidth provider for www.apache.org has
> begun to grumble.  To address this, we have taken some measures to bolster
> the effectiveness of the site in supporting mirrors:

why am I not surprised? ;)

If netscape can do it, so can we... I think the load on apache's central
site means that it shouldn't even be linked as a download site, (smart
users will go directly to the FTP, but web surfers will never be turned
directly to ftp://www.apache.org).

> 4) I have turned on "Expires" headers for the whole site, meaning content
> will stay in proxy caches (and ideally, ProxyPass-based mirrors) for 24
> hours after being accessed.

how about 48 hours for two weeks?

> 1) We will now be running CGI scripts on mirror sites.  Previously all CGI
> scripts, such as the search field and bug database, had an explicit link
> back to www.apache.org.  These CGI scripts only rely upon perl 4 (or 5)
> being at "/usr/local/bin/perl".  Is this a problem?

I imagine every perl installation around has either the binary or a link
there, to support the many scripts out there.

> 2) Sites which pull down their content via ProxyPass will not have
> dynamically generated mirror pages, though they should be cacheable.

I hope I'm not out of my line here: is this method at all realistic for
this use? sounds to me like a cool way to mirror joe's page of jokes, not
a busy site such as Apache is.

> There may be more issues brought up by this than I anticipated - let's

first: where are the CGI's going to sit permanently? if there is a cgi-bin
dir, we should make sure there is a ScriptAlias for it, otherwise make
*.cgi executable in the apache dir (default for me, but not for some).
maybe make sure through a .htaccess to cover at least SOME of the holes.
(assuming it's allowed to override)

ok, off to check on what's new since the night... :)

   Ira Abramov          <ira@scso.com>        Scalable Solutions
   POBox 3600, Jerusalem 91035, Israel       Tel (972)2-642-6822
   http://www.scso.com/~ira   Check out: http://www.linux.org.il