www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <rohrb...@nacamar.net>
Subject Re: Welcome to the Apache Mirror Maintainers mailing list
Date Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:35:09 GMT
kent,

im am sorry if you misunderstood me, but i always tend (since i do some
db/www development here at) to combine distribution systems, so that
everything is more "standardized". if the core team would use cvsup and
the mirroring sites would use cvsup, it would be possible to have a
certain amount of actuality on the apache source (that would enable us
hackers to get a recent version of the source tree at any time and making
suggestions would be a more flexible process like the current approach
with the release bound gnats database).

i use the freebsd current tree from time to time to check out new things,
and doing this with ftp would be a real pain in the a.. if you kno what i
mean. imho, it would be a nice addition if all the people doing module
development stuff and other core-related things would have a way to always
stay actual on the master source tree. this reduces development time for
a) the core team and b) the developers involved in module programming.

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Kent Landfield wrote:

> # i think the main problem we got in mirroring is the uncoordinated download
> # stuff from one mirror to another mirror to another mirror, people
> # mirroring without asking first from where and so on...
>
> I'm sorry, I missed the requirements in the info/how-to-mirror.html file
> that stated I needed to ask first.
>
> # afaik, cvsup has a mechanism to restrict certain download actions - and it
> # would be nice for the core team to maintain the master source tree, too
>
> We may be talking about two different things here.  Core team should have
> CVS access if you are discussing development enhancements.  This is different
> from the requirements of a mirror site.  That was what I was talking about
> earlier.
>
> If there are requirements for mirroring that are not listed in the
> info/how-to-mirror.html page then I suggest they be added.  Please,
> I'm not trying to be a pain in the backside. I am trying to understand
> the mirroring concerns.  I have been managing archives on the net for
> many years now and I always try to do what the site documents as the
> appropriate procedures.
>
> --
> Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502
> The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650
> Email: kent@landfield.com             http://www.landfield.com/
> Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to kent@uunet.uu.net.
> Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

With best regards,
Karsten W. Rohrbach

--
Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile. (Karl Lehenbauer)