www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <rohrb...@nacamar.net>
Subject Re: Welcome to the Apache Mirror Maintainers mailing list
Date Mon, 21 Apr 1997 16:14:07 GMT
i think the main problem we got in mirroring is the uncoordinated download
stuff from one mirror to another mirror to another mirror, people
mirroring without asking first from where and so on...

afaik, cvsup has a mechanism to restrict certain download actions - and it
would be nice for the core team to maintain the master source tree, too

someone pass on this suggestion to mj cox, please.

On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Kent Landfield wrote:

> Is there a reason that we need to look at other methods than mirror2.x ?
>
> Mirror is easy to setup and cheap to run, impact-wise, for both the remote
> archive and the host archive. And if you're maintaining archives its nice
> to use tools (ftp) that are already installed.  (Most sites today find perl
> a "must" so it too is probably already there.)
>
> Forcing people to setup cvs/rcs simply to mirror the archive (and then to
> setup accounts on the host system to access the repository) is just a bit
> much when ftp is on every system. And with mirror there no need for special
> privileges on the host system to mirror the archive.  Security for the host
> archive is better controlled with the use of anonymous access instead of
> establishing system accounts simply to get what's in the anonymous FTP area.
>
> And as many of us may be mirroring other sites/directories/files as well
> already, doesn't using multiple ways to mirror software only complicate
> your administration ? As you might be able to tell, I like nice clean,
> simple ways to automate operations such as mirroring.  That was why I
> use mirror2.x.
>
> # On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> # > I run my mirror with the perl mirror package too, works quite well... but
> # > my machine has ram to spare so I've never noticed it chewing it.  I run a
> # > bunch of mirrors with it.
>
> And even if you don't have a lot of ram you can set it up to use_files=True
> so that it does all the comparisions via disk files.   I run many mirrors
> using this and have archives mirror sections of my archives with really very
> little impact to my system.
>
> FWIW.
>
> --
> Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502
> The Landfield Group                   FAX:   1-817-545-7650
> Email: kent@landfield.com             http://www.landfield.com/
> Please send comp.sources.misc related mail to kent@uunet.uu.net.
> Search the Usenet Hypertext FAQ Archive at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

With best regards,
Karsten W. Rohrbach

--
Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile. (Karl Lehenbauer)