www-mirrors mailing list archives

From "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <rohrb...@nacamar.net>
Subject Re: Welcome to the Apache Mirror Maintainers mailing list
Date Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:43:26 GMT
we at nacamar use pmirror 2.8 for most of our mirroring jobs, apache
included. the experience i made with pmirror (which is available as a
native port for freebsd, our primary os) is, that it runs more stable than
all the other tools. in the beginning i built the mirror using ncftp,
which meant a heavy impact on the ftp.apache.org site (ncftp does not
filter out any errors nor does it delete obsoleted files). pmirror's
big disadvantage is the fact that it is a memory hog. in 2.8 they added
support for dbm hashes to store the list of files to retrieve which
reduces the impact on the machine tremendously. pmirror (as the name
already says) is written in perl and highly customizable and portable
(even runs under nt).

are there any better tools out there for remote file distribution? i
already used sup and rdist in our internal network, but those mechanisms
are not suitable for remote file distribution with this amount of sites
that carry the apache mirror.

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 v.moccia@itb.it wrote:

> Hi
>

> >Is the list up and running already?
> I suppose ;-)
>
> >We use ProxyPass to "mirror" the archive and we have noticed that
> >sometimes illegal URLs are generated when browsers follow links.
> I'm using "wget" on linux platform and there's no problem: if the
> connection drops out, it's possible do define a number of retries.
> I get the apache pages from the ftp.apache.org account:
>
> wget -m -o mirror.log -r -nH ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/
>
> Bye
> Vittorio Moccia
> v.moccia@itb.it
> admin@itb.it

With best regards,
Karsten W. Rohrbach

--
Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile. (Karl Lehenbauer)