www-mirrors mailing list archives

From Kent Landfield <k...@landfield.com>
Subject Re: Welcome to the Apache Mirror Maintainers mailing list
Date Mon, 21 Apr 1997 15:05:37 GMT
Is there a reason that we need to look at other methods than mirror2.x ?

Mirror is easy to setup and cheap to run, impact-wise, for both the remote
archive and the host archive. And if you're maintaining archives its nice
to use tools (ftp) that are already installed.  (Most sites today find perl
a "must" so it too is probably already there.)

Forcing people to setup cvs/rcs simply to mirror the archive (and then to
setup accounts on the host system to access the repository) is just a bit
much when ftp is on every system. And with mirror there no need for special
privileges on the host system to mirror the archive.  Security for the host
archive is better controlled with the use of anonymous access instead of
establishing system accounts simply to get what's in the anonymous FTP area.

And as many of us may be mirroring other sites/directories/files as well
already, doesn't using multiple ways to mirror software only complicate
your administration ? As you might be able to tell, I like nice clean,
simple ways to automate operations such as mirroring.  That was why I
use mirror2.x.