www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Apache 2.0 License with LLVM Exceptions
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2019 15:04:53 GMT
First off, interesting news of yet another successful external project
(one used by many developers at the ASF) who have migrated to the
Apache License; http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html#relicensing

What I found interesting are their two additional clauses to purportedly
make a "more" open flavor of the AL 2.0? I'd be interested in the thoughts
of our licensing and legal minds as to the usefulness and practicality.
Note I don't see the ASF releasing software itself with such exceptions.

And kudos to the LLVM community for clearly not calling their exceptions
an Apache License.

---- LLVM Exceptions to the Apache 2.0 License ----

As an exception, if, as a result of your compiling your source code,
portions
of this Software are embedded into an Object form of such source code, you
may redistribute such embedded portions in such Object form without
complying
with the conditions of Sections 4(a), 4(b) and 4(d) of the License.

In addition, if you combine or link compiled forms of this Software with
software that is licensed under the GPLv2 ("Combined Software") and if a
court of competent jurisdiction determines that the patent provision
(Section
3), the indemnity provision (Section 9) or other Section of the License
conflicts with the conditions of the GPLv2, you may retroactively and
prospectively choose to deem waived or otherwise exclude such Section(s) of
the License, but only in their entirety and only with respect to the
Combined
Software.