www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Legal Header in Unreleased Code
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 09:58:28 GMT
On 07/06/2019 10:50, sebb wrote:
> This discussion is about code that to be about code that in a public
> repo, but which is currently unreleased.
> If the code will never be released, is there any reason to require the
> license header?
>
> It might be desirable, but is it required?

Legally? No. Legally there is no requirement to add the header to any file.

Require by ASF policy? Yes. Unless there is a good reason not to. "It
will never be released" is not a good reason.

Mark

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 10:44, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Personally I don't think it should be a release blocker if a file is lacking
a license header;

>> Nor would I and have voted +1 on many many release with a few missing headers. Now
if all the files were missing headers then I probably wouldn’t vote +1. I’m not really
aware of the context here, perhaps that would help?