www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: "Apache-Runtime-exception-2.0"
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:56:57 GMT
On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 2:44 PM Hen <bayard@apache.org> wrote:

> I've proposed an alternative in terms of SPDX id.
>
> Is anyone concerned with the Swift licensing not changing the name of the license?

Yes
When I went to https://swift.org/LICENSE.txt  it claims to be the
Apache License.

And yet it's not.

And frankly, I am not even concerned with the terms of the new
license, it appears more permissive which is fine, I suppose, but
they're also trading on our good name and reputation.

> Typically I would be worried that a license modifier is attempting to use our name to
confuse the public that their licensed product is as desirable as it would be under our license;
or that a license modifier is weakening a license while confusing the public that their license
is as valuable to use as ours.

> In this case they are weakening the requirements of the license in a reasonable use case,
so I don't feel it's an attempt to confuse the public, and they do not appear to be proselytizing
their license.

Like I said above, the terms of the license don't concern me - so
much as they are modifying our license and still attempting to gild
themselves with our name. This may be a bit less concerning in this
case, but I think there is value in the 'Apache License' brand and not
just having things that are similar to the Apache License.