www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Legal Header in Unreleased Code
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 12:46:23 GMT
On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 6:33 AM sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 10:58, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 07/06/2019 10:50, sebb wrote:
> > > This discussion is about code that to be about code that in a public
> > > repo, but which is currently unreleased.
> > > If the code will never be released, is there any reason to require the
> > > license header?
> > >
> > > It might be desirable, but is it required?
> >
> > Legally? No. Legally there is no requirement to add the header to any
> file.
> >
> > Require by ASF policy? Yes. Unless there is a good reason not to. "It
> > will never be released" is not a good reason.
>
> I suspect there is a lot of code in public repos that will either need
> an exemption or headers.
> For example Infra code, Gump, Comdev...

Infra is not a PMC. We do not do releases. We do not do development for the
public. (some of it *is* useful to others, I will agree)

Yes, it would be nice to have ALv2 headers in all of our code, and are very
willing to accept such fixes, where we missed. But as a matter of course,
it is not a strict priority.

Cheers,
Greg
InfraAdmin, ASF