www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Legal Header in Unreleased Code
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2019 18:50:57 GMT
Hi -

> On Jun 7, 2019, at 2:58 AM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 07/06/2019 10:50, sebb wrote:
>> This discussion is about code that to be about code that in a public
>> repo, but which is currently unreleased.
>> If the code will never be released, is there any reason to require the
>> license header?
>>
>> It might be desirable, but is it required?
>
> Legally? No. Legally there is no requirement to add the header to any file.
>
> Require by ASF policy? Yes. Unless there is a good reason not to. "It
> will never be released" is not a good reason.

This should be discussed with the illustrious members of the Whimsy PMC.

Many of the parts of Whimsy are entirely ASF specific. Full testing of changing all these
headers requires full testing against most of the Foundation repositories.

Whimsy is hard to set up and the Foundation could use more Member volunteers. Changing the
headers makes a significant burden on those volunteers.

I don’t think we should consider Whimsy to be a normal PMC and I think that the Officers
and Board members who are also Whimsy PMC members should discuss an exception with the rest
of the Board. Alternatively the Whimsy PMC could be converted from a TLP to a “President’s”
Committee and operate in that way.

Regards,
Dave

> Mark
>

>> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 10:44, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Nor would I and have voted +1 on many many release with a few missing headers.
Now if all the files were missing headers then I probably wouldn’t vote +1. I’m not really
aware of the context here, perhaps that would help?