www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@codecentric.de>
Subject Re: Reverse engineering ... allowed or forbidden?
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2019 01:22:40 GMT
Or what?

Von: shawn gomez <ghostsmg2669@gmail.com>
Antworten an: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <legal-discuss@apache.org>
Datum: Freitag, 1. Februar 2019 um 20:12
An: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <legal-discuss@apache.org>
Betreff: Re: Reverse engineering ... allowed or forbidden?

return the packets to me you have 24 hours

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019, 12:50 AM Christofer Dutz, <christofer.dutz@codecentric.de<mailto:christofer.dutz@codecentric.de>>
wrote:
Hi,

Just for clarification. I didn't look at any code.
There wasn't even any information available at all.

What I did, was:
I hooked my network dumper to an existing device. Looked at the hex dumps (about 300000-500000
packets) drew conclusions from patterns I saw, checked them via little Java programs I wrote
and did a lot of talking with people who built the factory setup.

So from a copyright perspective we should be completely safe.

And yes: the code I'm taking about is completely separate. (Test code in the dedicated DeltaV
module)

Chris