www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: PyPI MXNet
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2019 04:09:23 GMT
Hi,

That depends on whether in practice those packages are being found and
> consumed by people outside the MXNet dev community.

They likely are. And for other projects they certainly are. In fact all
projects have this issue as github turns all tags into releases and shows
them for download on its releases page. Take a look at HTTPD github page
and see if you can see what are RCs and what are not. The venal public and
can see those RCs and download them not realising that they might not be
released.

What's not OK is to advertise such packages outside the dev community

For example the apache ignite download page?

As for where PyPI-specific guidance might live...

> Definitely not in the formal text of Release Policy.  Our policies must be
> succinct, clear, and bounded, because otherwise it is unfair to the
> projects
> we expect to comply with them.

The IPCM is working on that:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DistributionGuidelines

It still needs work feel free to edit, next step was to get feedback on
this list on it.

Thanks,
Justin