www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Hen <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clarifiying our license criteria
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2019 16:48:38 GMT
On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 7:01 PM Ross Gardler <ross@gardler.me> wrote:

>    -
>
>    The license must meet the Open Source Definition (OSD)
>    <https://opensource.org/osd>.
>

>    -
>
>    The license must not place restrictions on the distribution of
>    independent works that use or contain the covered work.
>

>    -
>
>    The license, as applied in practice, must not impose significant
>    restrictions beyond those imposed by the Apache License 2.0.

GPL does not have conditions on independent works. It even says so in the
last paragraph of section 5 (GPL 3.0).

What it does have is a culture of defining a work/based-on/derivative very
broadly. I'm not sure if there's any value in #2 above.

For your document I would just go with #1 and #3 above, and I think we
should think about changing resolved.html. I like the proposed
'not-significant' criterion above.

Hen