www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Hen <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PyPI MXNet
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2019 17:28:56 GMT
On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:16 AM Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:21 AM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Just as an aside I think we do need guidance on PyPi (and the IPMC is
> slowly
> > working on that)., from this thread i’d guess Marvin might have
> something to
> > say about that. :-) > At least one top level project uses it as the main
> form
> > of distribution that I know of and serval incubating project do. It's
> where
> > users expect to get Python code. I believe projects are also placing
> source
> > releases there as well.  We’ve have one incident were a podling made 100+
> > “releases” there without making an Apache release and while we may hand
> wave
> > and say that really a 3rd party doing that IMO it's not in the spirt of
> how
> > an Apache projects should work.
>
> We do provide guidance:
>
>     http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy#publication
>
>     Projects SHALL publish official releases and SHALL NOT publish
> unreleased
>     materials outside the development community.

Noting that we don't provide guidance/policy afaict that allows for
https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/ (as my perennial example).

Our guidance is:

* Projects shall not publish on pypi.
* Projects shall not publish unreleased material.
* "Using Apache Trademarks in software product branding: In general you may
not use Apache trademarks in any software product branding. However in very
specific situations you may use the Powered By naming form for software
products. "

Outside of Mark's text in the JIRA issue, I don't see any guidance that
allows for the apache-beam pypi download.

Hen