www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Reverse engineering ... allowed or forbidden?
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2019 17:30:57 GMT
IANAL, is reverse engineering really a copyright issue?  Or a separate issue if the terms of
use (TOU) of a binary prohibits reverse engineering?  I know some of Adobe’s binaries have
TOU that explicit mention that you are not allowed to “reverse engineer”.  The source
code for those binaries is locked up so it isn’t an issue of whether you saw the code or
not.  By using the product, you agree to those TOU and thus agree that you can’t use disassemblers
or other techniques to replicate the functionality of the binary.

So, if you used some binary to send packets on the network, what were the TOU for that binary?

HTH,
-Alex

From: Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
Date: Friday, February 1, 2019 at 3:46 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <legal-discuss@apache.org>
Subject: Re: Reverse engineering ... allowed or forbidden?

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 8:50 AM Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@codecentric.de<mailto:christofer.dutz@codecentric.de>>
wrote:
Hi,

Just for clarification. I didn't look at any code.

Good to know -- but my PS was exactly about that -- in certain situation
there have been claims that even doing reverse engineering gets you
"tainted". Personally I don't agree with that at all -- but that's probably
besides the point.

There wasn't even any information available at all.

What I did, was:
I hooked my network dumper to an existing device. Looked at the hex dumps (about 300000-500000
packets) drew conclusions from patterns I saw, checked them via little Java programs I wrote
and did a lot of talking with people who built the factory setup.

So from a copyright perspective we should be completely safe.

And yes: the code I'm taking about is completely separate. (Test code in the dedicated DeltaV
module)

Great!

Then, personally, I'd say that you did all you can to minimize the risk to your
project and the foundation.

Thanks,
Roman.