www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <...@daniel.shahaf.name>
Subject Re: PyPI MXNet
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2019 03:11:59 GMT
Hen wrote on Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 09:28:56 -0800:
> Noting that we don't provide guidance/policy afaict that allows for
> https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/ (as my perennial example).
>
> Our guidance is:
>
> * Projects shall not publish on pypi.

Yes, projects shouldn't use pypi as their only release channel, but on the
other hand, ASF is not interested in preventing its releases from being
distributed via pypi (or any other downstream).

> * Projects shall not publish unreleased material.

I don't care whether RC's are on pypi or not so long as they aren't the default
download.  There are good engineering reasons to make RC's available via as
same channels as possible to GA's, after all.

> * "Using Apache Trademarks in software product branding: In general you may
> not use Apache trademarks in any software product branding. However in very
> specific situations you may use the Powered By naming form for software
> products. "

This quote isn't about downstream distribution channels that don't modify the
source code.  Rather, it's about forbidding people from creating a C compiler
called "hadoop", or a compiler whose logo is the elephant or the feather,
without our permission.

> Outside of Mark's text in the JIRA issue, I don't see any guidance that
> allows for the apache-beam pypi download.

The whole point of an Apache brand is that we allow downstream distributors
that don't modify the source code to use it.