www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Hen <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Informal review of a blog post draft on the Apache Legal Shield
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2018 15:47:03 GMT
(Love the doc :) )

Nitpicking comments:

The first section is "Acts of the Foundation" and the second is "Developer
Builds". I love 'Acts of the Foundation' as a title, though I worry about
promoting Developer Builds as a topic higher than Releases. Could that
second title be something about developing within the Foundation?

Similar note, I think you should be stronger that the developer builds are
for Apache contributors to use to develop and test as a part of
contributing. "Please look for issues in these developer builds and submit
bug reports/patches".

One concern I have is that, when finding a random file on Apache, the
default should not be "it's a release". ie: What we should do is have firm
labelling on releases just as much as firm labelling on developer builds.
Within the context of this blog, how about something on how to tell a
particular url is an Apache Release? Perhaps point to the URL structure of
where we put our releases?

On this topic - is a file on Maven, NPM and PyPI an Act of the Foundation,
or is it something someone has personally uploaded based on the contents of
an Apache release?

I wonder if a third topic is our position that our releases are source?
Convenience binaries exist (and are Acts of the Foundation) but we always
require projects to release source first and foremost. That ties less to
bylaws (maybe 6.3?) and more to our original articles of corporation.

Hen

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 1:49 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org