www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can a project use an EPL 1.0 jar modified elsewhere?
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2018 17:59:00 GMT
That was my precise worry. If I understand the proposed solution, the only existence of this
patched jar will be via running a script from Apache git that applies a patch from Apache
git to some EPL 1 code. How is the result not an official Apache product?  I can more easily
understand how forking equinox at GitHub, patching it there, and releasing it under some maven
coordinates would be ok.

Thanks
David Jencks

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 13, 2018, at 8:29 AM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de.INVALID> wrote:
>
> PS: just read your reply again and want precise a minor point:
>
>> releasing an EPL 1.0 binary jar constructed here at Apache
>
> clearly NO
>
> The patched jar was NOT a binary created at the ASF by the ASF (legally).
>
> It is a binary created by some person outside the ASF.
> Of course this person is also an ASF committer but he did this realse NOT with his ASF
hat on, but on his own 'private' behalf.

> You know, such details might (and do) make a difference ;)
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>

>> Am 13.02.2018 um 17:07 schrieb David Jencks <david.a.jencks@gmail.com>:
>>
>> If I understand you, you are saying the proposed patch process is consistent with
EPL 1.0. If I understand the proposed patch process it would result in Apache releasing an
EPL 1.0 binary jar constructed here at Apache. Is this consistent with Apache policy?

>> Thanks
>> David Jencks
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Feb 13, 2018, at 7:51 AM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de.INVALID>
wrote:

>>> EPL §1(b) allows to add own originary work under any license.
>>> 'Derivative Work' otoh will stay EPL.
>>>
>>> I'd assume that the threshold of originality was not surpassed with the given
change, isn't?
>>> So the file is still all EPL I'd argue.
>>>
>>> Btw, as ASF we don't care much whether this jar was released by Eclipse or by
some other third party.
>>> All we have to care is that the jar is really EPL and doesn't contain any 'bad
files'.

>>> Given that we know Jaruslav and have all the commit trails + patch I think we
are on the safe side.

>>> Just my personal $.02 of course.
>>>
>>> LieGrue,
>>> strub

Apache. The source file being patched is EPL 1.0 and the patch is marked AL 2.  What license
is the resulting jar under?

EPL 1.0 I