www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sijie Guo <guosi...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about NOTICE file in src and binary distributions
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:49:05 GMT
Hi legal team,

I am from Apache BookKeeper project. I have a few questions about NOTICE
file in the src and binary distributions.

Currently BookKeeper has two different NOTICE file for src distribution (
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/blob/master/NOTICE)  and binary
distribution (
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/blob/master/bookkeeper-dist/src/main/resources/NOTICE-server.bin.txt).
The binary one includes all the dependencies and their licenses. We are
thinking of following other projects (like kafka and flink) to combine
these two to have one NOTICE file and one LICENSE file for both src and
binary distributions: https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/820/files

However when we read through the license-how-to page, there are some places
unclear to us. We would love to have some clarifications as follows:

- Does binary distribution have to have a separate NOTICE file than src
distribution?
- Does the binary distribution have to list all the bundled dependencies in
NOTICE file?

Thanks,
Sijie