www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: What kind of metrics / telemetry is an Apache project allowed to record?
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 19:51:12 GMT
Greg Stein wrote on 11/2/17 11:06 PM:

> On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 9:24 PM, Emilian Bold <emilian.bold@gmail.com
> <mailto:emilian.bold@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>         The ASF should be a bit more proactive in this regard.
>
> Note again: ^^ this was your original comment, that I responded to.
>>
>>     Not really. We're offering our software to the public. This isn't
>>     a marketing race to see who has the most downloads or installs.
>>     (in fact, we are not *allowed* to compete with for-profit businesses)
>     IntelliJ is gonna love this.
>
> I think you're not quite understanding. The Foundation doesn't care
> whether IntelliJ "loves it" or not. This is not a competition. It is NOT
> ALLOWED to be a competition. The Foundation has asked PMCs to remove
> material from their websites that gave the impression of competing
> against commercial projects.

To add context for the archives: The ASF is a US tax-exempt organization
that qualifies under the IRS code 501C3, which means there are a number
of restrictions on what kinds of things the ASF as a corporation can do
if we want to keep our tax-exempt (where donations are deductible)
status with the IRS.

Thus - there are a number of tax law restrictions on what the ASF can
(or can't) do, and as an overall strategy we don't want to even come
close to having our tax-exempt status challenged.

Separately, by *policy* that the board and membership have chosen, we
focus directly on helping our project communities who are actively
building their software in our Apache Way model.  Not on larger
marketing or any sort of competition in the marketplace.  Our purpose is
to create software for the public good; not to win marketshare or
compete against other companies out there.

Obviously, there are many meanings of "compete".  Apache projects can
and do create software products that provide the same features as
commercial offerings.  Apache projects do not do traditional competitive
marketing or promotions that compete against someone else: rather, we
talk about how our software is good (and free).

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources