www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Christofer Dutz"<cd...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Protocols and IP?
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2017 07:40:13 GMT
Ping?

On 2017-10-21 09:28, Christofer Dutz <christofer.dutz@codecentric.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am currently setting up a new Project that I’ll file an incubation proposal soon.
>
> Right now, I’m preparing the pre-project work and trying to find out in which order
I should to which tasks.

> My project will be implementing protocol adapters for different industrial protocols
for communicating with industrial programmable logic controllers.

> Unfortunately, everything open-source on this market is completely dominated by GPL licensed
stuff (Ok … well that’s the main reason for me working on this)

> It does make things a little difficult as I can’t just go to “the free GPL
spec”, but I have to find sources for the same information in non-GPL content.

> Right now, I’m usually using RFCs and ISO standard publications as well as purchasing
books, scientific publications etc. that contain the information I need.

> Also, I am referencing these in the comments of my classes as proof of “nonGPLity”
… so my first question is: Is this a valid approach?

> Second question came up yesterday: I was emailing with a guy from the OPC-Foundation
about a membership in order to get non-GPL version of the OPC-UA Spec.

> Unfortunately, it seems as if there is only the GPL version available, but members get
access to Source-Code, Test-Code and other Examples. I bet I couldn’t

> just use that information, even if I paid for a membership, create a protocol adapter
from that and donate that to Apache as I guess they will definitely

> protect their IP to not allow me to do that.
>

> Now my main question: If I implement an adapter for a protocol and use only freely available
information to do that, can I be infringing some intellectual