www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Apache <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: License doubts regarding addition of external APIs.
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2017 12:48:06 GMT
Sorry, reading to the end of the question does mention checking in the source. You are correct
that that cannot be done. The source should reside outside the ASF and be included in executable
form as a dependency, or require the downstream user to provide it.

Ralph

> On Oct 17, 2017, at 5:43 AM, Apache <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> The original question stated that the SDK is coming from an external repository and said
nothing about checking it in to our source control. Further, while it precludes reverse engineering
of the SDK, no such restriction would exist on The Apache project as far as I can tell.

> This looks like a platform dependency to me
>
> Ralph
>
>> On Oct 17, 2017, at 2:55 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Even if it's a runtime/platform, what's being asked is if some of these files can
be added to source.  Item 4 prohibits that since it introduces a field of use restriction.

>>> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 1:32 AM Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:
>>> Can Nordic be ruled to be a runtime/platform?  I think there are exceptions for
that.

>>> -Alex
>>>
>>> From: Hen <bayard@apache.org>
>>> Date: Monday, October 16, 2017 at 10:18 PM
>>> To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <legal-discuss@apache.org>
>>> Cc: "dev@mynewt.apache.org" <dev@mynewt.apache.org>
>>> Subject: Re: License doubts regarding addition of external APIs.
>>>
>>> It would be Category X imo.
>>>
>>> This is a field of use restriction:
>>>
>>> "4. This software, with or without modification, must only be used with a
>>>    Nordic Semiconductor ASA integrated circuit."
>>>
>>> Hen

ARE
OUT