www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Question - Can open source code licensed under Apache License 2.0 simply be deleted from a public Github repo by the owner?
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2017 14:04:44 GMT
My understanding is that once you have the source you are free to do with it whatever you like,
forever. But nothing I know of requires someone to provide access to the source code forever.

Ralph

> On Oct 24, 2017, at 6:42 AM, Duncan Johnston Watt <duncan.johnstonwatt@cloudsoftcorp.com>
wrote:

> Apologies if this is covered elsewhere.
>
> I have visited both the legal FAQ and the specific Apache License FAQ pages and couldn't
see a question that matches this.

> I should stress that the code in question was licensed under Apache License 2.0 but has
not been contributed to ASF or any other open source project governed by a foundation.

> Anyway to cut to the chase I have just seen a tweet[1] where someone says
>
> I cant seem to find the community version of @scalr is it closed source only now. I see
the github pages giving 404 errors! #scalrclosed

> Basically Scalr's community edition of their software appears to have disappeared from
view. This is in spite of their Wikipedia entry[2] making it clear that Scalr is open source,
freely available under Apache License 2.0 and in Github repo[3].

> Scalr is an open source <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source> Cloud Management
Platform for managing multi-cloud infrastructure. The project was started and open sourced
in April 2008[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalr#cite_note-1> to provide scalable
infrastructure for MediaPlug (a media sharing service) and is now maintained on GitHub <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitHub>.[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalr#cite_note-2> Scalr provides, according to one reviewer,[3]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalr#cite_note-3> "90% of the features, at 10% of the
price" of main competitor RightScale <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RightScale>.

> The code is made freely available under the Apache License <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_License>
(version 2.0) and Scalr has received favorable reviews from sites including TechCrunch,[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalr#cite_note-4> HighScalability,[5] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalr#cite_note-5>
the official AWS blog,[6] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalr#cite_note-6> and CNet.[7]
>  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalr#cite_note-7>

> My understanding was that you can of course stop contributing to an ASL 2.0 project but
that you can't simply delete it as you have granted anyone using it an irrevocable Copyright
and Patent license which is hard to use without the source code.