www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Apache Royale Website Preview
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2017 18:50:24 GMT

> On Oct 30, 2017, at 10:20 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 7:54 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>> (Please note mixed private/public lists)
>>

>> The intent is that when users come to find, download, or otherwise learn
>> about an Apache project that the URL displayed to them ends in
>> *.apache.org - this provides consistent branding and also assures users
>> that the website about that project is an official Apache project.
>>
>> So no - redirecting $TLP.apache.org to another domain, such that the
>> user's browser displays some other domain name when they are reading the
>> project's content is strictly not allowed, period.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/ seems to contradict your absolute statement.
>
> So; what is the criteria for obtaining an exception to the policy, as in
> the example above?

For OpenOffice.org - as the volunteer who did the bulk of www porting work and designed the
template.

(1) From the Infra side the site was 9GB of legacy and conversion to CMS was termed a sledgehammer
on the Apache CMS. Joe did incredible work to make this not so bad and I followed Infra advice
to put parts off the template into SSI.

(2) We did get exclusions from Trademarks through Shane who was a Mentor. I’ll leave the
explanation to him, but the OpenOffice.org domain is known to millions of users and OpenOffice.org
is a registered trademark.

(3) Source code for OpenOffice is only found on OpenOffice.apache.org

(4) forums.openoffice.org is a standalone forum community that helps everyone in the overall
OpenOffice community.

Regards,
Dave