www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What kind of metrics / telemetry is an Apache project allowed to record?
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2017 18:27:24 GMT
We are in a very similar situation with Apache Ignite, where we'd like
to track the usage stats of the project. But we really don't want
anything fancy, but to know the number of the installations and their
geo-spread. Incidentally, we don't even want to keep the info once the
stats were derived and clearly aren't interested in users IP address
beyond the general vicinity of it (e.g. UK, Russia, US, and so on).

IANAL, but recording OS info or plugins might require an explicit
consent of the users. You might find [1] to be useful for the
background information.
--
  With regards,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.