www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Including / forking Apache 2.0 licensed code into an ASF project
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2017 06:15:26 GMT
License-wise this is generally OK as the incoming code is Apache-licensed.

However you would also need to verify and keep track of the Intellectual
Property, as ASF will be redistributing the incoming code as our own.

This is normally done with a Software Grant signed by the legal IP owners
of the outside contributers granting ASF a copyright license. The IP owners
may be the employer if covered by the contributor's contract.

As well you will need to inspect the history and file headers of each
individual file to verify it is truly covered by that software grant and is
compatible with Apache license. This is not very different from the
situation of incubation, except that you may need to involve the original
contributors.

The Software Grant needs to be filed according to ASF procedures. In ASF
the responsibility for handling this has been delegated to the Incubator
PMC.

See http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html