www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject License of unmerged contributions [Was: Status of code licensed to the ASF but not submitted to the ASF]
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2017 17:53:01 GMT
A related question is:

What is the license of software contributed to Apache but not accepted by
Apache. For example a patch on JIRA or pull request on GitHub that has not
yet been merged.

Apache 2.0 says:

"*5. Submission of Contributions*. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You
to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License,
without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above,
nothing herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license
agreement you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions."

Does Apache take a blanket position that any patch contributed to Apache
which is licensed to Apache under Apache 2.0 (per clause 5), is also
licensed by Apache to everyone else?

Hen