www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject MXNet: "Copyright Contributors"
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2017 05:01:27 GMT
Another podling question.

The MXNet code previously stated:

  Copyright (c) 2015 by

*Contributors*
This is pretty vague and begs the question of what to put in MXNet source
headers going forth. It might even perhaps be a tautology; something is
always copyright to its contributors (where contributors is open source
speak for authors).

Per the previous email, it's likely that not all contributors will have
signed an ICLA with Apache. Do we keep that one liner in every file, do we
put something in the NOTICE along the lines of:

"MXNet was previously published at https://github.com/dmlc/mxnet and was
Copyright (c) 2015 by *Contributors"*

Or put that in every source file.

It's a curious question imo. The current Apache source header says:

"Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
 or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
 distributed with this work for additional information
 regarding copyright ownership."

Where contributor license agreements include ICLAs, CCLAs, Software Grants
and Clause 5 of the Apache License 2.0; at least in so far as contributed
directly to Apache. It also possibly includes ICLAs/CCLAs signed with third
parties who then signed a Software Grant, and arguably Clause 5 of the
Apache License 2.0 to those third parties. MXNet is fun (aka normal for
most open source projects) in that it's unclear who that third party would
have been; presumably the individual who created the dmlc GitHub
organization as there is no legal entity there.

All of which is to show that I've thought about this a bit, with no perfect
answer. We are not going to get an ICLA from every one of the
"Contributors". We could leave that generic and confusing text in each
source file, but I feel this is an allowable case for moving that copyright
statement into the NOTICE per my proposed text of:

"MXNet was previously published at https://github.com/dmlc/mxnet and was
Copyright (c) 2015 by
*Contributors"*

Do folk on the Legal list feel this is sane, or that I'm barking mad? :)

Thanks,

Hen