www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Podling CLA/Grant advice
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2017 04:25:23 GMT
Hi Legal list,

One of the Incubator check-list items states:

"Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been
received. It is only necessary to transfer rights for the package, the core
code, and any new code produced by the project. "

When a project is coming from a single contributor (such as a company),
this is handled by a software grant.

When a project already exists and is relicensing, this is 'fun' and
involves a lot of CLA signing (in essence to get permission to relicense to
the Apache 2.0 licence).

When a project is an already existing project _AND_ is already/has always
been under the Apache 2.0 license, how should this be handled?

Specifically I am looking at Apache MXNet. There are 400+ contributors. The
existing and new committers have all signed ICLAs.  Who else among the ~380
remaining contributors need to sign ICLA/grants? And what reason do we give
to them when asking them to sign the ICLA/grant given that the code isn't
being relicensed?

Thanks,

Hen