www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Emilian Bold <emilian.b...@gmail.com>
Subject What kind of metrics / telemetry is an Apache project allowed to record?
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2017 21:56:08 GMT
Hello,

We have very little metrics from ASF for Apache JMeter and the best
source seems to be a 3rd party site that has a popular plugin portal
and records more information.

This is a pretty sad state of affairs:

* downloads are not counted very accurately. I discovered there are
some text logs on http://www-us.apache.org/dyn/stats/ but these are
very approximate and the mirrors send no logs back to Apache for
centralisation or such.

* website logs are on-demand only. I see the ASF does use Google
Analytics as per
https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/privacy.html but individual
projects don't (can't?) so we only have server logs(?)

It would be interesting to

* record version information, operating system, popular plugins ourselves

* allow users to send an error "to us" when it happens (error reporting).

So, what kind of privacy policy must we follow for such a feature and
how can INFRA help us with a server to receive these messages?

Having more info about the current state and the trend of our user
base would allow some better planning since everybody is
time-constrained.

Having this info under our control would allow us to actually follow a
given privacy policy instead of relying on a 3rd party site that does
not even *have* a privacy policy.

Some of these questions apply to Apache NetBeans too, as we have a
very nice error reporting mechanism there with a custom server backend
for detecting duplicates, statistics and such.

--emi